Obtaining an FCC License

Obtaining an FCC License

Raveon AVL radios for vehicle tracking require a license to use. In the USA, the FCC governs the use of radio channels, and issues licenses for public, business, and government users. All other countries have a similar government agency which regulates the use of VHF and UHF radio channels. Obtaining a license is typically a simple paperwork application.

Obtaining an FCC license to use your UHF radio is very simple. There are numerous companies (Frequency Coordinators) who will handle most of the work for you.

Step 1. Gathering Information

This document outlines the important information about your radio system that you gather before you contact a frequency coordinator.

• Frequency/ Frequency Band
The UHF frequency band of the RV-M7-UC radio is 450-480MHz. Your license should be within this band.
• Radio Count
The number of radios that will operate on the system.
• Output Power/ERP

The output power of the system amplifier, as well as the effective radiated power (ERP), which is the system’s power at the antenna.

The RF power of the RV-M7-UC is 5 watts maximum. You may set it to 2 watts if you desire to obtain a lower-power license.

Before applying for the license, you should choose your base station antenna. If you use a 3dB antenna, your EIRP is 10 watts. If you use a 6dB base station antenna, your EIRP is 20 watts.

• Emission Designators
The emission designator for the RV-M7-UC is 11K0F1D
• International Coordination

For stations near the Canadian border, refer to the Industry Canada site to access Canadian licensing information. Note that the Canadian database does not show all valid stations.

Step 2 Obtain FRN

Use link below register with the FCC to obtain a FCC Registration Number (FRN).

There is no charge for this. Radio licensing services (see #7 below) charges $95 to obtain this number.
If you have other radios registered with the FCC you may already have a FRN. Use the link below to search or all the FCC at 877-480-3201.