The purpose of this tech blog entry is to guide a RavTrack PC user in acquiring a usable Geotiff Map File from Global Mapper 12. This Geotiff can be converted to .Maplib format and displayed on RavTrack PC. Please note that earlier versions of Global Mapper, including version 10.02 and 11.00, can be utilized for the same operation, however, some specific WMS data sources are not built in.
Global Mapper 12 is a powerful mapping software that allows access to high resolution geospatial imagery which can be downloaded, edited, and extracted. We are going to focus on the downloading and extracting aspect of the software. Most RavTrack users have applications that require the use of street, satellite (Aerial), topographic, and similar maps. Obtaining these maps can become somewhat difficult; however, with software packages such as Global Mapper, you can easily obtain a usable Geotiff that can be displayed on RavTrack PC.
To accomplish this please follow these steps:
1. Start up Global Mapper 12.
2. Select (Download free maps/imagery)
3. Configure Projection
4. Set the Projection Parameters.
- Select (UTM) and the (Zone) for your map’s area. There are many reference maps online which outline the UTM Zones. For our example we are using UTM projection in Zone 11. After you have selected UTM and your Zone, click (OK). Your map is now in the correct projection.
5. Select (Export Raster/Image Format) in the file menu.
6. Select Geotiff as your export format.
7. Set Export Options
8. Start RavTrack PC and select Map Creation Tool
9. Select New Map
10. Select the Geotiff Image
11. Select OK to the Default Settings.
12. Click Yes to World File
13. Select Grid
15. Save your Map
16. Locate your RavTrack Map Directory.
17. Open Program Properties